One of my friends sent a post in a group chat. It said:
You are more than a mother
You are more than a girlfriend
You are more than a wife
You are more than a daughter
You are more than a sister
You are still you; make sure you’re living that too.
That post provoked me into thought and I asked myself a question “if I am more than all these roles/hats I wear, who am I in that ‘more than’ role? Who am I outside of those roles?”
Somewhere between getting married, having a kid, going through a personal emotional crisis, then another emotional crisis, I lost sight of who I am. I’ve become consumed with making sure my house is clean, meals are made, money is budgeted, etc, that I forgot about myself. While those things are important, and I wouldn’t miss a beat when it comes to them, I need to find time to find myself again. I need to figure out what I like, what my interests are, what I can passionately talk about, what my purpose is…
I took a break from writing. I haven’t posted a blog in 3 months. The reason is because I didn’t have anything to publicly share. While I’ve still been writing, those things are private and all a part of my self re-discovery. I believe that being healthy is more than just eating right and working out. Being healthy includes your WHOLE being. You are more than just a physical person.
Bottom line – what are you doing to actively become a better version of yourself? Becoming better and DOING better requires ACTION. You cant expect things to come to you while you sit back and watch life pass you by. You must be an active participant in your life or you will find yourself unfulfilled, repeating cycles, generational curses and negative habits.
Questions to consider:
- What are you doing to improve your mental health?
- Do you have a personal therapist? If you have a personal medical doctor and dentist to maintain your physical health, you need a therapist to maintain your mental health as well!
- What are you doing to improve your spiritual health?
- Do you have a church home? If church is not your thing, do you do things to connect to your spiritual self?
- How are you improving as a person? Can you be more kind; show more compassion; or help someone without expecting something in return?
- What are you doing to improve your financial well being? Do you have a budget?
On a more personal note:
On my quest to figure out who I am again, I have taken some ACTION. I have a mental health therapist whom I have sessions with at least twice a month, I work out, I plan meals, I drinks LOTS of water, I read more, I write more, and I meditate. Some days I miss it, but most days I am spot on. I refuse to become so consumed again with my roles that I forget about ME. I am taking the proper steps to becoming the best version of myself I can be.
So I pose this question to those who have taken the time to read this; WHO ARE YOU? If you cant definitively answer that question with OUT naming a role you assume, please began your journey to finding out who you are and why you are here.